Saturday, January 8, 2011

Do you know what today is?

Happy [76th] birthday, Elvis Aaron Presley! (My sister and I always celebrate his birthday.)




And by the way, the Wertheimer exhibit at the National Portrait Gallery was AMAZING. It was better than I expected, 56 huge black and white photographs spanning 6 rooms and a full hallway! I had a rough couple of days in D.C. by this time, and seeing the Elvis photograph exhibit really lifted my spirits. It was along the way from one of the places I was interviewing at, and I decided to stop by after everything was done. After asking the helpful lady at the front desk, I headed straight for the exhibit and was immediately impressed by the setup. Nice typography, layout of space, and great explanations of each photograph. I took my time and walked through each room slowly. It was very nice.

The exhibit stays at the National Portrait Gallery until January 23, then moves to Doylestown, PA. Find the other tour dates on Facebook if you can't make it. A companion book, Elvis 1956: Photographs by Alfred Wertheimer, was made for the show, and can be found here or on Amazon. Bob Colacello of Vanity Fair covered some great stories from Wertheimer about the portfolio of Elvis in this article.

0 comments: