Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Not so graceful in my journal...

I was feeling restless and discouraged yesterday. Being stuck in Greenwood is wearing on me, and furthermore, I am the reason why I am stuck. I felt like letting loose somehow. I do not have room to paint here, which is probably the reason for most of my escalating insanity, but yesterday I decided to at least break out the watercolors and "vomit" on a page. I just wanted bold colors, unorganized, untrained, and not worrying about composition or anything having to do with design or painting. I got this mess, but it felt good to get out. The brush to the paper felt good and natural again. I followed it with experimenting with a fountain pen and ink, doing spontaneous letters. It felt freeing not to worry about perfection in any sense. Usually I want everything aligned or uniform, always trying to make it more perfect.

It may be tacky and unrefined, but it was freeing, in a way.

And a quick disclaimer: by no sense does this reflect on my traditional way of typography.




"Lend your ears to music, open your eyes to painting, and... stop thinking! Just ask yourself whether the work has enabled you to "walk about" into a hitherto unknown world. If the answer is yes, what more do you want?"

-Wassily Kandinsky, 1910

0 comments: