Wednesday, August 11, 2010

85 notebooks. 26 years. Michael Beirut.

Michael Beirut speaks on 5 different projects. Over the past 26 years, he's completed 85 notebooks of journaling and sketching. You can see pages from his notebooks here at his insightful blog, Design Observer.

"I tend to be obsessive-compulsive, and I am very picky about the notebooks. No fancy Moleskines for me, just standard-issue office supply composition books...There always seems to be a lot of interest in designers' sketchbooks, but I call these notebooks for a reason. I've seen other designer's sketchbooks and I'm always impressed by how much creativity is on display. Not in mine. Page after page contain nothing but records of phone conversations, notes from meetings, price estimates, specifications. I keep the random doodles to a minimum. Someone looking at those pages would think the book might belong to a lawyer or, more likely, a party planner. Every once in a while, though, there are some drawings that would suggest that the owner was a designer."



  1. Listen first, then design
  2. Don’t avoid the obvious
  3. The problem contains the solution
  4. Indulge your obsessions
  5. Love is the answer

0 comments: