Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close

The cover design was done by Jon Gray of London, and was the first thing that attracted me to this outstanding and vulnerable story.Jon Gray is mentioned in this good article, Kill Your Darlings by Print magazine about "killing the baby" (as Jane would say).




When I was a girl, my life was music that was always getting louder. Everything moved me. A dog following a stranger. That made me feel so much. A calendar that showed the wrong month. I could have cried over it. I did. Where the smoke from a chimney ended. How an overturned bottle rested at the edge of a table.

I spent my life learning to feel less.
Everyday I felt less.
Is that growing old? Or is it something worse?
You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness.

0 comments: