Thursday, July 30, 2009

Angels and Demons

I finished reading Angels and Demons by Dan Brown (I read the whole book in Barnes & Noble!). He also wrote The Da Vinci Code, which I read a couple years ago, but several people said that Angels and Demons is better. I would usually just roll my eyes if his books are brought up in conversation, but somehow I find them mildly entertaining and a good read for fun. I don't take any "facts" in the book seriously, and I think a lot of what he proposes as the behind-stories of artists and their work is proposterous.

But I did find the ambigrams kind of interesting. Ambigrams are typographical designs that are symmetrical, usually one or two words, that can be read the same way upside down. The type used in the book was rotational ambigrams, but there are several different kinds (mirror-image, figure-ground, spinonym, symbiotogram, etc.).

Here is the illustrations of the ambigrams from the book:

0 comments: