Friday, September 3, 2010

Next time you're bored in class, try this!





I found this neat article on the Daily Heller this morning. I have respect for anyone that can sculpt an Elvis bust out of pencil lead, but when I saw his most well known work, Alphabet (which took 2.5 years to make), I was really impressed by Dalton Ghetti. This Brazilian-born artist lives in Bridgeport, UK and carves pencil lead using needles and x-acto blades. He started out in school carving a friend's name into a pencil and giving it to them as a present. Later, he began doing larger sculptures out of wood and stone, but progressed to smaller items such as soap, candles, and broom handles. See more about his process in the NY Daily News.

His recent exhibition, Meticulous Masterpieces: Contemporary Art by Dalton Ghetti, Les Lourigan, and Jennifer Maestre showed his pencils accompanied with a magnifying glass at the New Britain Museum of American Art. He is currently working on more, but won't divulge the subject matter in fear of jinxing it.

"When I'm inspired, I can sit down and things just flow. You can't force yourself to do those things. I do it just for fun, it's pretty much like a hobby, a kind of meditation work that I do."







0 comments: