Thursday, October 8, 2009

Crazy midterm time

So I've been away for awhile. Want to see why?

Graphic Design: book cover project.

I chose to design a series for Faber & Faber film books based on movies in their collection about drugs (Trainspotting, Pulp Fiction, Traffic, and Requiem for a Dream). It was difficult to come up with a good concept because these movies are very different from eahother. When I'd think of a concept, 9 times out of 10, it wouldn't work because it wouldn't quite fit ALL the films.

My process carried me to start illustrating different significant objects from each movie. I thought I could either photograph this one object or draw it and have lots of negative space and just the title. I started sketching things like a Big Kahuna burger for Pulp Fiction, a toilet for Trainspotting, but when I drew a syringe for Trainspotting, that lead to thinking of the various drugs represented in each movie and how I could illustrate those combined with negative space in an interesting, simple way. I had considered this earlier in the process, but not quite in this way. I also had given much thought to how drugs are used, the people that use them, and how their addiction grows. I wanted to represent the drugs as this one object that they keep focusing on and can't avoid. A character that starts using drugs isn't necessarily a bad person. They seem to have good intentions and somehow get trapped in an addiction that drags them down a path they didn't foresee.

I chose to design the object simply, with two bright colors, lots of negative space, and a clean, modern feel. I wanted the front to seem innocent and non-threatening, almost enticing and fun. This gives hint to how someone may approach drugs for the first time, as a harmless fling or recreational fun. Then, the back contrasts this same object with the real-life version, the sharp reality. I packaged them in a box that is wrapped like a kilo/brick of cocaine, spray painting the name of the series ("movies on drugs") and the Faber & Faber logo on the sides. I like how the grungy look of the box contrasts with the minimalist white books.

























































































I feel like this was the first project I really got into and loved. I've liked a few in the past, but this one was just different. It was so great at the end to have the results on nicely printed paper wrapped around the book. It's the first project that I feel like I've made something I would like.

Painting has also been keeping me equally busy. I had to have 2 done before critique yesterday. Maybe I can post pics of those later.

1 comments:

R said...

*squeal* love this!